We all know the merits and effectiveness of choosing natural and mild skincare ingredients and cause no side effects to the skin. If you want to switch to natural skincare, we have the perfect ingredient for you – Mulethi (also known as liquorice).
Mulethi or liquorice is among the most known Ayurvedic ingredients, effective in the treatment of diverse ailments such as sore throat, nasal congestion,
obesity, skin infections, and more. But were you aware of its various benefits to keep your skin smooth and soft? Yes, mulethi powder is a potent ingredient of many face packs that help you radiate a beautiful glow on your face due to its anti-bacterial properties.
What is Mulethi Powder?
Mulethi powder, which is often used in face packs and taken as a medicine for maintaining optimal health, is obtained from grounding the mulethi root properly. It has proven to be an elixir for soothing the skin and restoring its health to perfection.
Mulethi Powder Benefits For Skin
Mulethi powder’s benefits for the skin are truly incredible. This ingredient is cherished for its numerous advantages in skincare.
1. Protects from Sun Damage
Often our skin is left exposed to harmful sun rays which causes it to develop dark spots, age spots, and more. Sun exposure fastens the skin ageing process too. Liquorice powder helps minimize the skin damage caused by UV rays by lightening the sun spots and giving the skin an even tone. Since liquorice powder contains UV rays-blocking enzymes, the regular application of the mulethi powder face pack prevents skin from sun damage.
2. Enhances Skin Radiance
Mulethi is packed with flavanoids which makes it effective in lightening the dark spots, brightening the skin, and making the skin tone even. It is a skin-lightening home remedy that helps reduce hyperpigmentation and enhance complexion.
3. Fades Face Scars
Liquorice is well known for its wound-healing properties that help minimize scars and get rid of blemishes that might be on the face. Mulethi speeds up the process of scar healing and its regular application provides one with an even skin tone.
4. Fights Skin Ageing
Due to pollution, stress, and sun exposure, the signs of ageing on the skin such as fine lines, wrinkles, and more are visible much earlier. Liquorice powder is packed with antioxidants that reduce free radical damage and prevent skin ageing, fighting off wrinkles and fine lines.
5. Prevents Skin Inflammation
When Mulethi powder is applied topically, it soothes the skin with its anti-inflammatory properties. This helps reduce redness or swelling on the skin and prevent skin irritation that’s generally caused by environmental aggressors such as pollution and sun exposure.
Also Read: 12 DIY Coffee Face Packs For Glowing Skin
6. Makes Skin Soft & Supple
Mulethi is a very good emollient agent. It facilitates the production of skin’s collagen and elastin which helps retain the elasticity of skin and keeps it smooth, supple, and soft. It ensures that the skin is deeply moisturized with its capability of preserving hyaluronic acid.
7. Prevents Acne
The antimicrobial properties of mulethi can help restrain the growth of acne-causing bacteria on the skin which prevents further acne breakouts and blemishes. It also regulates oil production which ensures that you enjoy clear skin.
8. Treats Skin Infections
Mulethi root powder face packs are known to offer the skin a dose of intense moisturization and help reduce acne and common skin conditions such as fungal infections, eczema, psoriasis, and more due to the presence of glycyrrhetinic acid in it.
How to Make Mulethi Powder?
You can follow the following steps to make mulethi powder at home:
- Get 20 good quality, fresh Mulethi Roots.
- Clean the roots by rinsing them under cold running water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Peel the outer bark of the liquorice roots to remove the brownish, woody outer layer and leave the white inner portion.
- Slice the peeled roots into small pieces.
- Dry the slices. When completely dry, they should snap easily when bent.
- Grind them into fine powder.
- Sift the powder through a fine sieve.
Store the Mulethi powder properly in an airtight container to prevent moisture from getting in. Your homemade Mulethi powder is now ready to use.
Liquorice Powder Face Packs For Skin
Liquorice powder is a remarkable skin tonic that helps reduce skin pigmentation and patches, making it an excellent choice for a face pack. This is why using liquorice powder for a face pack makes perfect sense.
1. For Oily Skin
For oily skin, a face pack containing mulethi, lemon & orange peel powder is a great choice.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of mulethi powder with 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl.
- Ensure a thick, paste-like consistency with no lumps.
- With a brush apply the face pack on a clean face. Don’t neglect your neck area.
- Let it stay for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with cold water after.
- Apply the face packs twice a week for the best results.
You can also mix mulethi powder with rose water and apply it on the face and reap its benefits for oily skin.
Also Read: 12 Tomato Benefits For Skin | DIY Masks
2. For Dry Skin
For dry skin, a face pack containing liquorice root powder and milk is an optimal solution.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of mulethi powder with 2 tablespoons of milk in a bowl.
- Make a thick paste.
- Apply the pack on clean face with a brush. Don’t forget your neck area.
- Keep it for 15-20 minutes and wash with cold water after.
Apply twice a week for the best glow.
3. For Sensitive Skin
For sensitive skin, a face pack containing liquorice root powder, sandalwood & milk is the perfect solution.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of mulethi powder with ½ tablespoon of sandalwood powder and 2 tablespoons of raw milk in a bowl.
- Make sure the mixture has a paste-like consistency and no lumps.
- Cleanse your face first and then, using damp hands, apply the pack on the wet face and neck area.
- Wait 15-20 minutes before washing off with cold water.
Get the glow by applying this face pack twice every week.
Also Read: Benefits of Lemon for Face & Ways To Use It
4. For Combination Skin
A face pack with ingredients including mulethi root powder, aloe vera, and apple cider vinegar is an excellent option for those having combination skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of mulethi powder with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera pulp and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture on a freshly cleansed face and neck.
- Keep it on for 15-20 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
Nourish your skin with this face pack twice every week and get rejuvenated and radiant skin.
Benefits Of Mulethi Powder For Hair
Mulethi has long been appreciated for its properties to promote hair health. Let’s take a look at the multitude of benefits of liquorice powder for hair.
- Boosts Hair Growth: Liquorice powder contains compounds that stimulate the hair follicles and promote hair growth. It helps reduce hair fall and encourages hair growth.
- Maintains Scalp Health: The anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of mulethi powder help soothe an irritated or itchy scalp.
- Prevents Dandruff: The antibacterial properties of liquorice powder also help in reducing dandruff and keep itching and flaking in the scalp due to dandruff at bay.
- Improves Hair Strength – The nutrition contained in mulethi powder strengthens the hair from roots and makes it less prone to breakage and damage.
Also Read: How to Use Flaxseed For Skin Whitening?
- Reduces Hair Fall: Liquorice root powder helps reduce hair fall by strengthening the hair shaft and minimizing damage. It also adds a natural shine to your hair and makes them look healthy and lustrous.
- Maintains pH Balance: Mulethi has a pH similar to that of the scalp, which helps in maintaining the scalp’s natural balance and preventing excessive dryness or oiliness.
- Prevents Premature Greying: Liquorice root powder helps in delaying the onset of premature grey hair by preserving the natural pigment in the hair.
How to Use Mulethi Powder For Hair?
Here is how you can use Mulethi root powder, the wonder herb, for your hair health.
- Put 3-5 spoons of liquorice powder in curd with 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Mix them well and apply them on your scalp.
- Massage your scalp for a few minutes and let it stay for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and feel the difference in your hair.
The topical mulethi powder benefits are just a glimpse of the surface of the merits liquorice root has for our health. The multitudes of benefits of mulethi root run deep.
Benefits of Liquorice Powder For Health
Some mulethi root benefits for health are better metabolism, reduced inflammation, effectiveness in indigestion, acidity, and heartburn, and respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis. Consuming Mulethi root powder has a calming effect on the nervous system which helps constructively deal with anxiety and stress. Its anti-inflammatory properties help with arthritis and joint pain. Antioxidant-packed mulethi root combat free radical damage boosts immunity and delays ageing.
The versatile herb, Mulethi or Liquorice, offers a large number of benefits for our skin, hair & health. With wide-ranging merits such as promoting glowing skin & lustrous hair, boosting the immune system, and more, it is a herb that’s too good to ignore. Harness the incredible power of Mulethi to enhance your well-being & get the glow!
Disclaimer: This article is completely a product of research and data available on the internet and it is always recommended to consult a dermatologist before adding any remedy to your regime.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the mulethi powder benefits for the skin?
Mulethi powder is beneficial for the skin in many ways. It reduces sun damage on the skin, provides sun protection, lightens the dark spots, brightens the skin tone, reduces hyperpigmentation, and provides a glowing, even skin tone.
2. Is mulethi good for skin whitening?
Mulethi powder is added to the face packs for its capability of lightening the dark spots and brightening the skin due to the presence of flavonoids in it. It helps reduce hyperpigmentation and get an even, glowing complexion.
3. Can we apply liquorice powder directly on the face?
If you apply mulethi powder directly on your face, it won’t stick. You need to mix it with rose water or milk and use it in a face pack to apply it to the face for its many skin benefits.
Shweta Gupta, a digital marketing executive with over 4 years of experience, is also a passionate content writer specializing in skincare and beauty. Her engaging content serves as a guide to help readers choose the right products for achieving healthy, radiant skin. With expertise in both digital strategy and beauty, Shweta is a trusted authority in the field of skincare and wellness, offering valuable insights and recommendations for her dedicated audience.